Is it time for you to recharge yourself?
In my counseling practice in Topsfield, MA, I frequently ask clients how they fill up their gas tanks. One can’t give energy to everyone and everything else without taking the time to nourish and replenish their energy source.
One continuum on the Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) personality assessment is introvert and extrovert. Simply put, an introvert is one who replenishes their energy from downtime, alone. An extrovert replenishes their energy from being with people. Introverts are drained by others, extroverts feed of others’ energy.
For the past couple of months I have been replenishing my energy, filling my gas tank, or to mix metaphors, making sure I have enough peanut butter in my jar to butter all my bagels. Which is why I haven’t published a blog in a bit or posted on Face Book. I encourage you to take stock ~ do you need to re-charge? Is your gas tank full? Do you have enough peanut butter?
Here is my Top 10 List for filling up your gas tank; I tried to include some suggestions to appeal to both introverts and extroverts but the list is biased toward introverts.
1. Squelch the noise. Turn everything off and enjoy the silence.
2. Take a break from the news. Trust me, it will still be there when you come back and if something major happens you will find out.
3. Practice/try/ attempt/ give it a shot meditation. Set the timer for as little as a minute or for as long as you want.
4. Go for a walk, don’t bring your phone. If that is uncomfortable for you bring your phone and either shut it off or put it on silent.
5. Sit outside, somewhere quiet. Sip tea, seltzer water, spring water or your favorite beverage or not. Sit. Outside. Quietly. Watch, listen, smell, and wriggle your toes in grass.
6. Take a yoga class. There are so many around and most accept drop-ins.
7. Make time to watch the sunrise.
8. Make time to watch the sunset.
9. Take a long soak in a hot tub or long shower (bring a beverage in a unbreakable glass or mug).
10. Make a list of what you appreciated about today, be specific and try for ten.
Hmmm…. Seems this list is all geared toward introverts. Next blog will be dedicated to the extroverts. Oh, the blog will now be published monthly somewhere in the beginning of the month. Sign up for the feed if you don’t want to miss it or friend harmony Counseling on Face Book or LinkedIn. Notifications about new blogs are posted there.
In case you are wondering the two photos were taken in my neighborhood. The winter scene was during a run and the other is where I like to sip my coffee.
And if you still feel spent after trying to refuel, give me a call, Harmony Counseling can help!
S/He who lives in harmony with their self lives in harmony with the world. ~ Adapted from Marcus Aurelius
Myers Briggs: http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/
A great book: